Project Get Out is my personal challenge to spend at least a half hour a day outside for the fall. Because even though I work in natural resources and write about the outdoors, I don’t get out nearly enough.

I am once again finding my tendency to go dormant in the fall hard to overcome. La get last week included some high points, but also several low points in my endeavor to get outside more this fall.

Monday: I traveled to Vermont on Monday for work and intentionally carved out some time to take a hike and get to know the area’s woods a bit better. I selected a hike called Mt. Horrid and The Great Cliff and wrote about that earlier this week.

Earlier in the week, I visited The Great Cliff.
Earlier in the week, I visited The Great Cliff.

Tuesday: I was in a meeting all day, so my only outside time was the walk to/from the lunch restaurant and a brief walk around town before dinner. But at least it was something…

Wednesday: I stayed at a small bed and breakfast a mile or so out of Rutland for most of my Vermont trip. I knew it would be hard to get outside after my meetings on Wednesday, so I took a half-hour walk in the morning around the local countryside.

This was the view from the window of where I stayed. In the evenings, it was incredible to see a nearly full moon hovering over the barn with the valley and mountains in the background.

Thursday: I was busy with work and driving, and it was raining. I walked around Downtown Burlington a bit in the evening before dinner, but I really didn’t get much outside time.

Friday: Fail. No outside time. It was one of those cold, rainy, miserable days and I was preoccupied with meetings and travel. My travel home was nearly interrupted by snow back home. The plane landed in Hancock (although it had been stocked with extra fuel in case we had to turn around and return to Chicago) on more than an inch of sloppy, early-season snow.

Snow on Saturday morning.
Snow on Saturday morning.

Saturday: Happy to be home, I spent most the day being shamelessly home-bodied and lazy. At the same time, the snow and cold temperatures were threatening to ruin the last of the greens in my garden. My outside time on Saturday was spent digging into the snow to get the last of the greens and carrots from the garden, plus some other pre-winter yard work.

The last of my greens: buried under snow, but saved by a row cover!
The last of my greens: buried under snow, but saved by a row cover!
The final garden harvest for 2014.
The final garden harvest for 2014.

Sunday: We continued to get snow, with a few inches stacking up by Sunday morning. I wanted to go skiing, and I should have in the morning while it was a bit below freezing (better gliding conditions) and low wind. But I procrastinated, thinking I’d take a walk later. Well, I never did, and I spent the day inside relaxing and enjoying being home.

I keeps snowing! Here’s another pic of what it looks like now!

The snow as I write this (Tuesday morning).


Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s