A Beginner’s Guide to Gardening in Cold Climates
This online course is designed to help beginning gardeners get started and successfully grow flowers, vegetables, and other plants. Whether you’ve just bought your first house, have decided to try out a new hobby, or are interested in growing plants for a profit, this course will cover the fundamentals that you need to grow healthy and vibrant plants.
The course is designed for gardeners living in colder climates, but this doesn’t mean that you have to live in the Arctic! When it comes to gardening, a cold climate includes any place where the winter temperatures are below freezing for at least a few months of the year. This includes much of the northern part of the North America, from the northern Rockies through the Midwest to the Northeast in the United States. Besides the United States and Canada, there are lots of places with cold climates in Europe, Asia, and even parts of the southern hemisphere. In this course, we’ll focus on working with the growing season where you live. This will ensure that you master the basics, and provide you with a foundation for moving onto more advanced topics like season extension.
The gardening fundamentals covered in the course curriculum will cover everything you need to know to get started, from understanding your growing space to preparing the soil and planting your garden. Several sections contain worksheets that will help you to assess your garden needs and create plans that are most well-suited to your goals and lifestyle. Additional resources are also provided to explore certain topics in more detail and provide how-to demonstrations.
What are the requirements?
- All you need is a tiny bit of soil and an interest in growing plants!
What am I going to get from this course?
- Master the basics of growing flowers, vegetables, and other plants in cold climates where winter temperatures fall below freezing
- Establish your first garden using step-by-step instructions
- Select plants that are going to be successful in your garden space
- Grow hardy plants that can tolerate cooler temperatures and short seasons
- Move from a beginner gardener to more intermediate and advanced topics
What is the target audience?
- New and aspiring gardeners
- Gardeners living in cold climates—that is, places that have a real winter where temperatures fall below freezing
- Experienced gardeners may also benefit from reviewing foundational concepts, tools, and resources for improved garden success.